Friday, April 27, 2012

WELCOME TO FABULOUS FASHION FRIDAY (I am not my hair)

Ms. India's Arie's song I am not my hair was a huge popular song, I guess because finally someone was breave enough not only to sing we don't have to be a slave to conformity of our hair but she was living what she was singing about! We are Not our hair or are we?

It's a beautiful Friday morning and I wake up thinking of all the things I need to do.  Lately, I've been going through some sort of emotional battle as to what I should do to and with my hair.  I know you're thinking is it really that serious.  Well many of you know our hair is our glory! We spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on our hair.  I know at one time I was a slave to what we call creamy crack (perm cream) well I haven't permed my hair in over ten years. 

Here's my story; At one time I had locs they were long and beautiful but I began to get bored with them and could not decide whether I wanted to keep them or not.  It had taken me years to decide to finally loc my hair.  Everytime I saw someone with locs I would think how beautiful they were.  When I finally made the decision and started the locs it was a journey unlike any other.  I believe and this is nothing personal to anyone, but I don't think the begining stage is attractive on women especially on me. No matter what I wore or did I felt like the ugly ducking until my locs were long enough to put into a small ponytail. Now one would imagine that after lusting after other peoples locs one would not cut her hair after going thru the ugly stage, but noooooooooo not me.  What do I do I cut them!  I know i'm a lunatic.  Several family members and friends tried to talk me out of it but I didn't listen and that was a huge mistake.  I was sooooooooo miserable after I cut them I felt like someone had cut off my strength yes I'm thinking Sampson! lol

Well for some people nothing teaches them better than experience.  So here I go through the second go-round of locking my hair.  This time around I may trim them at some point or have them cut into a style but I think locs are my hair soulmate, like some women's hair soulmate is braids, or perm.  After so many years of perming my hair never had I felt so beautiful and such a connection as when I had my locs. 

Now as with anything in life everything is not for everyone. So going natural is not for everyone just as much as much as using a perm is not for everyone.  Whatever it is you choose to do, Be you! Be Beautiful!  Find your hair soulmate.

Whatever you decide you are not your hair!




Hugs and Blessings, Val

No comments:

Post a Comment