Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Welcome to WELLNESS WEDNESDAY (It's My Anniversary)

Ladies, I'd like to share something very near and dear to me.  On March 17th I celebrated 4 years out from bariatric surgery.  I made the decision after careful consideration, personal research regarding the pros and cons and much prayer.  What prompted me to even consider the surgery was loosing my only sister to a massive heart attack in 2000.  She passed exactly one month before her 41st birthday. To say that my family was devastated would be an understatement. One of the last conversations we had was her concern for my health.  It wasn't because I was sick, but neither was she.  I was, however, morbidly obese.  My sister did have a chemical imbalance that cause her cholesterol level to be extremely high.  It was comical to see people's response when she would introduce me as her little sister as I was twice her size. Family history aside, I made the decision some 8 years later to save my own life. What I mean is I was unhappy with the way I felt and looked.  I could no longer hide in my house and under layers of clothes hoping the world wouldn't see me.  I had to stop playing the victim and being selfish. That's right I said being selfish.  When you fail to deal in reality about your health and well being, you not only put yourself in jeopardy you put your love one's in jeopardy too. The devastation of loosing someone you love unexpectedly is a hurt and pain that is inexplicable. 

After experiencing and dealing with some very traumatic situations in my life I did what a lot of people do, I medicated myself with food. The results was obesity, depression, shame of allowing myself to get to that place and physical pain i.e. back pain, knee pain etc. 

March 17, 2008 I had gastric bypass surgery.  According to the Nurses I was the poster child for Gastric Bypass.  I didn't have any complications at all and a week or two later I was feeling great! Now I'm not suggesting that anyone overweight run out and have surgery.  This was my decision and my Journey and it was one of the BEST decisions I have made as an adult.

Fast forward Four years and I am feeling FABULOUS, now I will confess that lately I haven't been exercising like I should but that is definitely about to change.  I am so blessed and eternally grateful to my Heavenly Father for allowing me to live through the surgery and to still be here to tell my story.  I share this in the hopes that it will encourage , enlighten and uplift someone. Whatever method you use to be a healthy you is groovy! lol I am proud to tell people I am 47 years young.  I thank the LORD every day, for each new day I see.

My beautiful sisters we come in different shapes and sizes and hues and it's a beautiful thing, let's just make sure we are healthy in our beautiful bodies.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful,  I know full well  Psalm 139:14

hugs and blessings, Val


At my heaviest  





Current Day:

No comments:

Post a Comment